1 matches were found
- Tuesday, November 16, 1999 #2977
details of ostrow's effective frequency model
- The Media Guru Answers(Sunday, November 21, 1999 ):
The Ostrow model aims at establishing the minimum level of frequency to be deemed effective so that the plan can maximize reach at that level of frequency. The model can be traced back to his speech, "Effective Frequency" at an Advertising Research Foundation Key Issues Workshop, June 4, 1982.
Typically, the model involves evaluating a series of relevant factors on a scale of say, 2 to 6, and averaging the factors to determine the appropriate level of frequency to set as effective.
In the 1982 speech the factors discussed were of three kinds: marketing, message / creative and media.
- Established brand vs new entry
- Brand share
- Brand loyalty
- Purchase cycle
- Usage cycle
- Share of voice
- Target group learning capacity
Message / Creative
- New vs continuing campaign
- Image building vs specific sell
- Message variation (copy pool)
- Wear out
- Copy unit size/length
- Editorial / program environment
- Continuity vs flighting
- Number of different media
- Repeat exposure opportunities
For the full speech, the transcript proceedings of the workshop are available from the Advertising Research Foundation InfoCenter For details about the InfoCenter, call 212-751-5656, extension 230.